iPads for Events: Rent vs. Buy
There’s no doubt that iPads are great tools for meeting planners who want to add interactivity to their events. They are an ideal solution for running conference apps, having paperless meetings, or running point-of-sale solutions.
While renting iPads for a conference certainly costs much less than buying new units, what about renting larger quantities or for longer periods of time? In these situations, would it be better for you to purchase the units? What really goes into owning large numbers of iPads and re-using them at multiple events?
Buying iPads may be best for you if…
- You plan to use them for multiple years
- You want brand new devices , fresh out of the box
- You want to mix & match specific colors
- Your team has time to handle the logististics (customization, shipping & security)
- You want to give away the iPads as prizes after the event
Renting iPads may be best for you if…
- You want to save money compared to the cost of buying them
- You don’t have time or space to manage shipping & logistics
- You want professional customization on large numbers of iPads
- You want easy options for onsite setup & support
- You need 4G data , and don’t want to deal with managing those data plans
- You want 24/7 tech support & contingency plans (plus damage and theft insurance options)
How Meeting Tomorrow prepares iPads:
We inspect and charge each unit before every event to make sure they are in pristine working order, have the latest iOS, and are wiped clean of all previous documents and user information.
Pushing out a custom iPad image using Apple Configurator 2.
iPad storage bins hold 32 iPads and weigh close to 50 lbs.
Checking & scanning out iPads before packing & shipping.
A finished batch of iPads with a custom background & extra apps.
1. Working space (10′ x 20′ for 100-300 iPads)
2. Heavy duty power strips and dedicated power outlets
3. Storage bins to carry/hold iPads
4. iPad protective cases to prevent screen damage
5. Apple iMacs or Macbooks for imaging stations
6. Apple Configurator 2 software
7. iPad sync / charge stations
8. Shipping bins, label printers & bubble wrap
1. Charge iPads (~4 hrs to fully charge an iPad Air)
2. Erase contents & update iOS (~45 min per batch of 32 iPads)
3. Create custom image (backgrounds, apps & settings)
4. Push out custom image to all iPads (~30 min per batch)
5. Check customization on all iPads & power them down
6. Pack iPads in shipping bins & arrange FedEx pickups
7. Track all shipments & monitor returns
8. Unpack, verify numbers & start again!
Get event technology news, trends and tips delivered straight to your inbox every month.