How to Connect a Laptop to a Projector
Steps for Connecting a Laptop to a Projector
1. Make sure your computer and laptop are both turned off.
2. Connect the video cable (usually VGA) from your laptop's external video port to the projector. (Unsure what video output you have? View our video connection guide.)
3. Plug your projector into an electrical outlet and press the "power" button to turn it ON.
4. Turn on your laptop.
5. If you need audio for your presentation, connect the laptop's "audio out" port to the projector, or to another sound system.
6. Sync the projector and laptop by holding down the FUNCTION (Fn) key and pressing one of the following keys to toggle: F4, F5, F7, F8
(Note: Depending on your computer, you may have to use a different F key than those listed above.)
- How to Connect a Mac to a Projector
- Laptop Computer Video Ouput Guide
- Apple Macbook Video Adapter Guide
- 6 Tips for Preventing AV Failures
- 8 Reasons to Consider Using an Outside AV Provider
- 9 Cool & Creative Ways to Use a Projector
- Questions AV Companies Should Ask
- BYO AV: You Don't Have to Use the Hotel's Audio Visual Company
Want more helpful event AV tips? Download our free eBook, “AV 101 for Meeting Planners and Event Professionals.”
Get event technology news, trends and tips delivered straight to your inbox every month.